Steven Kahn is a seasoned real estate lawyer who balances litigation skill with strategy to achieve his clients’ goals and protect their interests.
Steven focuses on real estate disputes and litigation. He represents clients throughout Northern California, including individuals, families, trusts, real estate professionals, insurers, municipalities, and businesses of any size, private or public.
Steven is fundamentally a “dirt lawyer,” addressing wide-ranging issues involving real estate, and is committed to solving problems and finding solutions for clients in real estate disputes and transactions.
Steven joined Hoge Fenton in July 2014 and was elected a shareholder in January 2016. Previously, he was a partner with Bardellini, Straw, Cavin & Bupp LLP, a boutique law firm specializing in real estate and business litigation, real estate transactions, title insurance, and escrows.
Steven began his legal career as claims counsel with First American Title Insurance Company, where he gained valuable in-house experience in title insurance claims, escrow practices and procedures, and real estate transactions. In addition to his broad real estate practice, he is proud to now represent title insurers, underwritten escrow companies, and title insurance policyholders.
During law school, Steven worked as a California State Bar certified law student at the Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center’s Consumer Protection Clinic, where he represented low-income individuals in litigation and disputes involving debt collection, credit reporting, and automobile sales.
Practice Areas & Experience
- Food & Beverage
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate and Land Use
With more than 19 years of experience in-house, at large and boutique law firms, and through all phases of litigation, trials, arbitrations, appeals, and alternative dispute resolution, Steven counsels his clients on important real estate decisions in their business and personal lives. His core practice includes:
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law – 2004
- B.A., Government, Claremont McKenna College – 2001
- Marin Academy High School, San Rafael, California
- United States District Court for the Northern and Eastern Districts of California
Affiliation & Awards
Professional and Community Activities
Steven proudly serves on the Advisory Board of Santa Clara University School of Law’s Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center. Working there was his favorite part of law school.
Steven is a member of the Contra Costa County Bar Association and is also the co-chair of the Santa Clara County Bar Association Real Property & Business Law Section. He has presented to both Bar Associations on various real estate topics.
Steven is an affiliate member of the California Land Title Association, which represents and advocates on behalf of California’s title insurance and escrow industries.
Steven is very active within the Bay Area ProVisors network. He is the leader of the Pleasanton 1 group, serves on the executive board of the Bay Area Real Estate Affinity Group, and is also a member of the Walnut Creek 3 group and Bay Area Lawyers Affinity Group
Steven was named a “Northern California Super Lawyer” in 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor. He was named a “Northern California Rising Star” in 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
Outside the office, Steven and his wife spend their free time with family, friends, their rescue dog, and at the CrossFit box. He is also mildly obsessed with the San Francisco Giants and Formula 1 racing.
Speaking & Publications
- The Silicon Valley Real Estate Breakfast – How EV Charging is Fueling Real Estate, Hoge Fenton, March 16, 2023
- The Tri-Valley Real Estate Breakfast – Hoge Fenton, December 7, 2022
- Joint Ownership & Property Division – Issues in Superior Court, & Probate Court, Real Property & Business Law Section, Santa Clara County Bar Association, April 28, 2022
- The Silicon Valley Real Estate Breakfast – Our City & Real Estate Development Landscape, Hoge Fenton, September 21, 2022
- Peninsula Real Estate in a Post-COVID World, Webinar, Hoge Fenton, November 10, 2021
- State & Bay Area Eviction Moratoriums – Guidance for Landlords, and Tenants, Hoge Fenton, August 18, 2021
- Residential Landlord Tenant Actions, Santa Clara County Bar Association, February 23, 2021
- Timely Tax Friendly Tactic: 1031 Exchange, Hoge Fenton, October 21, 2020
- Consumer Protection During COVID-19, Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center, May 20, 2020
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Silicon Valley Real Estate Pt. 2 , Hoge Fenton, May 12, 2020
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Silicon Valley Commercial Real Estate , Hoge Fenton, April 14, 2020
- Tri-Valley Commercial Real Estate Update: Impacts of COVID-19, Hoge Fenton, April 1, 2020
- I can’t pay. Now what? An overview of force majeure, impossibility, and frustration of purpose in COVID-19 times, 2020
- So, You Need A Lawyer: Contractor Edition, UA Locals Union 393, 2019 & 2020
- Home Sale Gone Bad – Real Estate Claims and Disputes, VNARP, March 19, 2019
- Using Capital Gain Strategies to Market Yourself to Real Estate Investors, Bay East Platinum Affiliates, February 19, 2019
- 1031 Exchange Creative Solutions, 37th Annual Real Property Retreat, California Lawyers Association, April 20, 2018
- Non-Marital Relationships & Real Estate Ownership: Planning, Settling, & Partitions, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2018
- Real Estate Litigation 101, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Home Sales Gone Bad: Real Estate Claims & Litigation, Various Residential Realty Companies, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- California Association of Realtors Residential Purchase Agreement and Contract Forms Update, Various Residential Realty Companies, 2016, 2017, & 2018
- Title and Escrow Industry Issues, Litigation, and Legislation, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2016 & 2017
- Real Estate Transactions from A to Z, National Business Institute, 2017
- 1031 Exchange Creative Solutions, California Lawyers Association Real Property Law Section, 2018
- Equitable Subrogation Litigation, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2014 & 2016
- Co-Author, Santa Clara County Commercial Eviction Moratorium Extended through June 30, 2021, Hoge Fenton, April 15, 2021
- Co-Author, COVID Rental Relief Funding for Landlords and Tenants, Hoge Fenton, March 22, 2021
- Co-Author, New Eviction Moratorium and Rental Assistance, Hoge Fenton, February 4, 2021
- Co-Author, Residential Landlords Required to Send Tenants Notice, Hoge Fenton, September 23, 2020
- Co-Author, New COVID-19 Tax Credit of Landlords, Hoge Fenton, June 26, 2020
- Co-Author, Residential Real Estate on Pause – C.A.R. Issues a New Addendum in Response to COVID-19, Hoge Fenton, March 30, 2020
- Co-Author, Mortgage Relief for Residential Homeowners Impacted by COVID-19, Hoge Fenton, March 30, 2020
- Co-Author, Friday August 30th Deadline for California Rent Control Bill, Hoge Fenton, August 28, 2019
- Author, Fraud Alert: LLC Identity Theft, Hoge Fenton, July 2, 2019
- Author, Coming To A Ballot Near You – Property Tax Portability Throughout California, Hoge Fenton, October 11, 2018
- Author, “Ethics: All By Myself: Ethical Duties Prosecuting Quiet Title Actions When The Other Side Is Absent And/Or Unknown”, March, 2017
- Author, “The Invisible Public Road, Hiding in Plain Sight”, 2015
- Author, “Easement — or License? New Case Law Blurs The Line”, July 2015