Steven Kahn is a seasoned real estate lawyer who balances litigation skill with strategy to achieve his clients’ goals and protect their interests.
Steven focuses on real estate disputes and litigation. He represents clients throughout Northern California, including individuals, families, trusts, real estate professionals, insurers, municipalities, and businesses of any size, private or public.
Steven is fundamentally a “dirt lawyer,” addressing wide-ranging issues involving real estate, and is committed to solving problems and finding solutions for clients in real estate disputes and transactions.
Steven joined Hoge Fenton in July 2014 and was elected a shareholder in January 2016. Previously, he was a partner with Bardellini, Straw, Cavin & Bupp LLP, a boutique law firm specializing in real estate and business litigation, real estate transactions, title insurance, and escrows.
Steven began his legal career as claims counsel with First American Title Insurance Company, where he gained valuable in-house experience in title insurance claims, escrow practices and procedures, and real estate transactions. In addition to his broad real estate practice, he is proud to now represent title insurers, underwritten escrow companies, and title insurance policyholders.
During law school, Steven worked as a California State Bar certified law student at the Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center’s Consumer Protection Clinic, where he represented low-income individuals in litigation and disputes involving debt collection, credit reporting, and automobile sales.
Practice Areas & Experience
- Food & Beverage
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate and Land Use
With more than 13 years of experience in-house, at large and boutique law firms, and through all phases of litigation, trials, arbitrations, appeals, and alternative dispute resolution, Steven counsels his clients on important real estate decisions in their business and personal lives. His core practice includes:
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law – 2004
- B.A., Government, Claremont McKenna College – 2001
- Marin Academy High School, San Rafael, California
- United States District Court for the Northern and Eastern Districts of California
Affiliation & Awards
Professional and Community Activities
Steven serves on the Advisory Board of the Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center.
He is also a member of the Contra Costa County Bar Association, where he regularly presents to the Real Estate and Litigation sections on real estate issues.
Steven is an affiliate member of the California Land Title Association, which represents and advocates on behalf of California’s title insurance and escrow industries.
He is active within the Bay Area ProVisors network, as a member of both the San Francisco 10 group and Pleasanton 1 group, where he serves on the executive committee.
Steven is also responsible for Hoge Fenton’s involvement with Book Trust, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving literacy rates in early readers through partnerships with local public schools. As the firm’s representative, Book Trust is an integral part of Hoge Fenton’s commitment to the community.
Steven was named a Super Lawyers “Northern California Rising Star” in 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, and 2019. He was recently named a Northern California Super Lawyer in 2020 a designation given to less than 5% of lawyers in California, as chosen by his peers and through the independent research of Law & Politics and San Francisco Magazine.
Outside the office, Steven enjoys CrossFit, yoga, and road cycling. He is also mildly obsessed with the San Francisco Giants and Formula 1 racing.
Steven and his wife love animals. They volunteer with the local animal rescue foundation where they adopted one of their three senior rescue dogs.
Speaking & Publications
- Timely Tax Friendly Tactic: 1031 Exchange, Hoge Fenton, October 21, 2020
- Consumer Protection During COVID-19, Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center, May 20, 2020
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Silicon Valley Real Estate Pt. 2 , Hoge Fenton, May 12, 2020
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Silicon Valley Commercial Real Estate , Hoge Fenton, April 14, 2020
- Tri-Valley Commercial Real Estate Update: Impacts of COVID-19, Hoge Fenton, April 1, 2020
- I can’t pay. Now what? An overview of force majeure, impossibility, and frustration of purpose in COVID-19 times, 2020
- So You Need A Lawyer: Contractor Edition, UA Locals Union 393, 2019 & 2020
- Non-Marital Relationships & Real Estate Ownership: Planning, Settling, & Partitions, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2018
- Real Estate Litigation 101, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Home Sales Gone Bad: Real Estate Claims & Litigation, Various Residential Realty Companies, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- California Association of Realtors Residential Purchase Agreement and Contract Forms Update, Various Residential Realty Companies, 2016, 2017, & 2018
- Title and Escrow Industry Issues, Litigation, and Legislation, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2016 & 2017
- Real Estate Transactions from A to Z, National Business Institute, 2017
- 1031 Exchange Creative Solutions, California Lawyers Association Real Property Law Section, 2018
- Equitable Subrogation Litigation, Contra Costa County Bar Association, 2014 & 2016
- Author, “Ethics: All By Myself: Ethical Duties Prosecuting Quiet Title Actions When The Other Side Is Absent And/Or Unknown”, March, 2017
- Author, “The Invisible Public Road, Hiding in Plain Sight”, 2015
- Author, “Easement — or License? New Case Law Blurs The Line”, July 2015