Fall 2014 Employment Law / M&A Seminar
By | 09.14.2014 | Speaking Engagements & Firm Events
|Date||09/17/2014 and 09/18/2014|
|Time||8:00 a.m.-10:45 a.m.|
Successfully Closing the Deal: Navigating the Employment Issues in M&A Deals
There are many considerations in buying, selling, or merging your company with another business, not the least of which are employment issues. The short term goal in an M&A (mergers and acquisitions) transaction is a successful close, but the ultimate goal is to ensure that the business will succeed. Early and proactive attention to employee relations and employment law issues, both during the transaction and in the integration of the businesses thereafter, are critical for long term success. This seminar will identify some of the most crucial elements involved in completing a deal and ensuring success once the deal has closed. Among other issues, we will cover:
- Due diligence regarding wage and hour practices, benefits, I-9s, and other employment related legal liabilities
- Successor liability for such issues as COBRA benefits and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) benefits
- Continuity of employment relationships — do you terminate & rehire employees, or simply transfer to the new employer? What will it cost you as the seller/buyer?
- Auditing employee eligibility verifications (I-9s)
- Triggers for providing WARN notices and how such notices can affect the timing of your deal
- Potential stock option vesting and acceleration clauses
- Older Worker Benefits Protection Act (OWBPA) considerations when offering severance packages
- Enforceability of non-competes and non-solicitation provisions in connection with the sale of your business
- Key employee retention agreements
- Integration of cultures and management teams
This event is by invitation only — if you’d like to refer someone to attend the event, please first contact us. Thank you!
Do you have questions or issues you’d like to see addresses in the seminar? Please submit your questions in advance. Contact Patty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Should Attend
This seminar is specifically geared toward business owners, CEOs, CFOs, COOs, HR Directors, in-house legal counsel, and others involved in closing M&A deals and ensuring post-close success.
Dates and Times
The program occurs on two different dates in two locations (see below)
Registration: 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m
Program 8:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
Locations — two locations and dates
- Tri-Valley, Pleasanton – Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at Four Points by Sheraton, “Livermore Room,” 5115 Hopyard Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588
- Silicon Valley, Downtown San Jose – Thursday, September 18, 2014 at 2nd Floor, 60 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113. Please note that we do not validate parking. Click here for parking alternatives.
- Registration fee is $35 for non-Hoge Fenton clients and includes program materials and a continental breakfast. Be sure to choose the correct date.
- If you are a client, please contact Patty Blanquies, email@example.com or 408.947.2487, to register at no charge.
Registration includes program materials and 2 hours of MCLE/CPE.
This program, 218261, has been approved for 2 (HR (General)) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Please be sure to note the program ID number on your recertification application form.
Speakers: Steven D. Siner, Chair — Corporate Group, Sarju A. Naran, Chair — Employment Law, Peter D. Feinberg — Corporate Group, Jennifer M. Protas — Employment Law, Moderated by Justine M. Cannon. Register for this event »