Sblend’s practice focuses exclusively on real estate, commercial, and finance matters. He assists his clients nationwide with real estate, land use, commercial negotiations, bankruptcy, and insolvency.
Sblend has negotiated land use entitlements in the Bay Area for a couple of decades with an emphasis in public assistance financing, development agreements, and specific plans.
Sblend actively networks with organizations that enhance his service to clients. He is Hoge Fenton’s delegate to Mackrell International, one of the world’s premier associations of independent legal firms. “Our clients’ trust extends to assisting them in their ventures outside of California. Our Mackrell membership allows us to provide them with a ready platform throughout the world. Now we can seamlessly assist our clients in San Jose, California and San Jose, Costa Rica.” – Sblend Sblendorio.
He has negotiated hundreds of business acquisitions and dispositions, real property transactions and work-outs for businesses, developers, commercial landlords, and commercial lenders, and has negotiated the sale, lease, and financing of over a billion and one-half dollars of business assets and real property.
Sblend was named a “Northern California Super Lawyer” in 2012, and 2016-2021. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
- Banking & Mortgage
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Business Transactions
- Commercial Banking and Lending
- Food & Beverage
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Real Estate Receivership
- Real Estate and Land Use
- J.D., Loyola Law School, cum laude
- B.S., Political Science, Santa Clara University, magna cum laude
Affiliation & Awards
In 2011, Sblend was appointed to the Board of Directors of i-GATE Development Corporation, designated by the Governor’s Office of Economic Development as one of six “innovation hubs” (iHubs) in the State of California. Sblend is also actively involved in these organizations:
- Alameda County Agricultural Advisory Committee (Chair 2001, 2002)
- Alameda Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) Public Member
- Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum
- East County Board of Zoning Adjustments (2006)
- Eastern Alameda County Bar Association Board of Directors (President, 2004)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Livermore Chamber of Commerce (Board Chair, 2008)
- Livermore Junior Football League (Treasurer)
- Livermore Rotary
- Livermore Valley Wine Auction Board of Directors (former Treasurer)
- Livermore Valley Winegrowers Association (former President)
- Sunflower Hill Advisory Board (former member)
- Tri-Valley Leadership Group (innovationtrivalley.org) Board
- Tri-Valley Conservancy (Joined the Board of Directors as an At-Large member in 2019)
- “Northern California Super Lawyer” in 2012 and 2016-2021. Each year, no more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
- Negotiated split between owners of Silicon Valley real estate investment company’s sale proceeds from industrial property.
- Negotiated secured real estate financing for $136M for Bay Area recycling business.
- Negotiated and closed sale of Silicon Valley’s non-profit’s headquarters and acquisition of larger replacement headquarters.
- Negotiated and closed acquisition of new headquarters for contractor in Silicon Valley.
- Negotiated and closed several acquisitions for investor of triple net properties in Northern California.
- Negotiated sale of contractor’s headquarters to public semiconductor equipment manufacturer for campus expansion.
- Negotiated and closed sale of Silicon Valley industrial investor group’s building to public medical device company.
- Negotiated land use entitlements and approvals for new 5 star hotel in Dublin, California.
- Negotiated and closed sale of majority tenants-in-common interest in Mountain View, California office building to be converted in high density residential.
- Negotiated and closed sale of industrial property in San Leandro, California.
- On behalf of the sellers, negotiated sale of 172-unit apartment complex located in Glendale, Arizona.
- Negotiated and coordinated due diligence for acquisition of downtown Los Gatos property leased to restaurant for investor.
- Negotiated easements on behalf of Telefunken Semiconductors to allow FedEx logistics center to be built in Roseville, California.
- Negotiated and closed $70M real estate property portfolio division among family members. The portfolio consisted primarily commercial (industrial, office and retail) buildings in the heart of Silicon Valley.
- Negotiated sale of ranch to Meritage Homes for development and construction of single family residences in Livermore, California
- Represented Paragon Outlets in entitling, acquiring, and securing construction financing for a 750,000 sq. foot fashion outlet center in Livermore Valley that features over 150 retailers
- Represented Sunflower Hill in entitling, acquiring, and financing affordable communities for special needs adults
- Re-negotiated office and manufacturing leases for publicly-held owner with national retailer exiting bankruptcy
- Negotiated sale of surplus school site from developer to school district to avoid foreclosure
- Negotiation of the sale of a multi-million dollar bankruptcy claim to an international bank
- Negotiated acquisition of lease from national retailer being liquidated in bankruptcy
- Negotiated the acquisition of a co-location facility in San Ramon out of bankruptcy
- Advised publicly-held technology manufacturer on workout with major customer facing cash crisis
- Negotiated resolution of bankruptcy preference claims for publicly-held technology manufacturer
- Negotiated the acquisition of motor vehicle retailer’s locations out of bankruptcy
- Re-negotiated credit lines for manufacturers
- Negotiated and reviewed acquisition and financing of radio station
- Negotiated land use entitlements for 500-unit transit oriented housing project for owner
Speaking & Publications
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Panelist, CCIM/AREAA Silicon Valley & International Commercial Real Estate Broker Forum, September 20, 2018
- Author, “How to House a Tech Hub”, San Francisco Business Times (July 2017)
- Author, “2011: The year of ‘who knows what’s next?’ for commercial real estate“, San Francisco DailyJournal (2012)
- Author, “Effective ways to help your client win the uphill retail development battle“, San Francisco DailyJournal (2011)
- Author, “Lawyers Have a Critical Role to Play in Growth of a Green Economy“, San Francisco Daily Journal (2009)
- “Keeping the Deal Moving: Best Practices with Due Diligence and Underwriting”, CCIM, June 11, 2019