Ron C. Finley is Co-Chair of Hoge Fenton’s Intellectual Property and Privacy and Data Security Practice Groups. Ron is a skilled and energetic litigator who, for over two decades, has represented corporations, partnerships, and individuals in high-stakes lawsuits in state, federal, and appellate courts, including many federal district courts around the U.S. He is passionate about the practice of law and partnering with his clients to effectively achieve their goals.
Ron likes to win. He has successfully defended and prosecuted patent cases in an array of industries, including semiconductor devices and integrated circuits, software, wafer processing, and metrology, electro-mechanical, life sciences, and medical devices. Ron has also successfully defended large corporations in nationwide antitrust and class action cases. Ron litigates data security and privacy lawsuits involving intellectual property, trade secrets, privacy violations, and other data breach claims.
Ron is a former adjunct professor of law at Golden Gate University, where he taught patent litigation, and has spoken at the China National Intellectual Property Administration (formerly SIPO). Before graduating from the McGill University School of Law, he was a high-school science teacher and science department chair. Ron credits his time at the front of the classroom with his ability to explain complex issues and technologies to judges and juries in meaningful ways.
Prior to joining Hoge Fenton, Ron founded Beck, Bismonte & Finley, LLP, where he was managing partner and practiced for 15 years.
Ron is ranked AV Preeminent ® by Martindale-Hubbell, affirming the highest level of professional excellence for legal expertise and ethical standards.
- Class Action
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Law
- Life Sciences & Medical Devices
- Privacy and Data Security
- Real Estate and Land Use
- Trademark Counseling and Protection
- J.D., McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- B.S., B. Ed., Brandon University, Canada
- 3e Degre., Université De Franche-Comté, France
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- The Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- The Supreme Court of the United States
Affiliation & Awards
Ron was formerly an Adjunct Professor of Law at Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco where he taught Patent Litigation.
Martindale-Hubbell has awarded Ron the rating of AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5.0, the highest possible rating. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, and the Santa Clara County Bar Association.