Heather Boshears is an attorney in the Firm’s Estates and Trusts Practice Group. She works closely with sophisticated clients to prepare comprehensive estate plans, handle post-death administrations, and resolve disputes before reaching trial. She advises clients in tax matters including estate and gift tax and real property reassessments.
Heather is a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law as certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. She is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), licensed in Colorado. Her additional experience as an auditor and operations officer makes her a valued resource for her clients.
Heather is a top-rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney selected to Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. She was listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021: Ones to Watch, Trust and Estates.
Before joining Hoge Fenton, Heather practiced law with Fox, Shjeflo & Babu LLP in San Mateo and Thoits Law in Los Altos. She has litigated probate disputes involving accountings, breach of fiduciary duties, suspension and removal of trustees, lack of capacity, undue influence, financial elder abuse, and the validity of marriage. Heather also worked in the probate division of the Superior Court of California as a volunteer research attorney. At the Court, she drafted bench memoranda on various probate issues, prepared the daily probate calendar advising jurists on petitions and motions, and researched and drafted statements of decision for bench trials.
Heather’s prior roles include manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers, operations officer at Bank One Corporation (now J.P. Morgan), University Auditor at San Francisco State University, and management consultant at Northern California Public Broadcasting, Inc. (KQED).
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- B.S., Louisiana State University, Finance Major, Philosophy Minor, Commercial Banking Concentration
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensed by the State of Colorado Board of Accountancy
Affiliation & Awards
Heather is committed to the community. She serves as Co-Chair of the San Mateo County Bar Association’s Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section and has served the executive committee in roles including Chair Pro Tem 2018-2019, Treasurer 2016-2017, and Chair of New Attorneys 2013-2017.
Heather’s community roles include:
- Co-Chair, San Mateo County Bar Association Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section (2020-2021)
- Treasurer and member of the Board of Directors, Junior League of San Jose (2020-2021)
- District Leader for California’s 14th Congressional District, The Humane Society of the U.S.
- Adoptions Counselor, San Francisco SPCA
- Member, Care and Support Team, Menlo Church
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney selected to Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2017 – 2020
Best Lawyers in America© 2021: Ones to Watch, Trust and Estates.
Speaking & Publications
Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way: Exploration of Will Drafting, Execution and Litigation, Eastern Alameda County Bar Association (EACBA), Co-presenter, January 2020