Heather Boshears is an experienced associate in the firm’s Estates and Trusts group. She works closely with the firm’s sophisticated clients to prepare comprehensive estate plans, handle post-death administrations, and resolve disputes before reaching trial. She advises clients in tax matters including estate and gift tax and real property reassessments.
Before joining Hoge Fenton, Heather practiced law with Fox, Shjeflo & Babu LLP in San Mateo and Thoits Law in Los Altos. She has litigated probate disputes involving accountings, breach of fiduciary duties, suspension and removal of trustees, lack of capacity, undue influence, financial elder abuse, and the validity of marriage. Heather also worked in the probate division of the Superior Court of California as a volunteer research attorney. At the Court, she drafted bench memoranda on various probate issues, prepared the daily probate calendar advising jurists on petitions and motions, and researched and drafted statements of decision for bench trials.
Heather’s prior roles include manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers, operations officer at Bank One Corporation (now J.P. Morgan), University Auditor at San Francisco State University, and management consultant at Northern California Public Broadcasting, Inc. (KQED).
Heather is a member of the State Bar of California. She is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), licensed in Colorado.
Heather’s community roles include:
- Co-Chair, San Mateo County Bar Association Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section (2020-2021)
- Treasurer and member of the Board of Directors, Junior League of San Jose (2020-2021)
- District Leader for California’s 14th Congressional District, The Humane Society of the U.S.
- Adoptions Counselor, San Francisco SPCA
- Member, Care and Support Team, Menlo Church
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- B.S., Louisiana State University, Finance Major, Philosophy Minor, Commercial Banking Concentration
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensed by the State of Colorado Board of Accountancy
Affiliation & Awards
Heather serves as Co-Chair of the San Mateo County Bar Association’s, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section and has served the executive committee in roles including Chair Pro Tem 2018-2019, Treasurer 2016-2017, and Chair of New Attorneys 2013-2017.
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney selected to Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2017 – 2019
Speaking & Publications
Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way: Exploration of Will Drafting, Execution and Litigation, Eastern Alameda County Bar Association (EACBA), Co-presenter, January 2020