Heather Boshears is a Senior Associate in our Estates and Trusts Practice Group. She works closely with sophisticated clients to prepare comprehensive estate plans, handle post-death administrations, and resolve disputes before reaching trial. She advises clients on tax matters including estate and gift tax and real property tax reassessments.
Heather is a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Law as certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. She is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), licensed in Colorado.
Heather is a top-rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney nominated by peers to Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” in 2017-2020. She was listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, Trusts and Estates in 2021-2023.
Heather has litigated probate disputes involving accountings, breach of fiduciary duties, suspension and removal of trustees, lack of capacity, undue influence, financial elder abuse, and the validity of a marriage. She worked in the probate division of the Superior Court of California as a volunteer research attorney where she drafted bench memoranda on various probate issues, prepared the daily probate calendar advising jurists on petitions and motions, and researched and drafted statements of decision for bench trials.
Heather’s community roles include:
– Past Chair of the San Mateo County Bar Association’s Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Section
– District Leader for California’s 19th Congressional District, The Humane Society of the U.S.
– Past Treasurer and member of the Board of Directors, Junior League of San Jose
– Adoptions Counselor, San Francisco SPCA
Heather’s prior roles include manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers, operations officer at Bank One Corporation (now J.P. Morgan), University Auditor at San Francisco State University, and management consultant at Northern California Public Broadcasting, Inc. (KQED).
- Graduate Student, Taxation, Golden Gate University, School of Law
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- B.S., Louisiana State University, Finance Major, Philosophy Minor, Commercial Banking Concentration
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensed by the State of Colorado Board of Accountancy
Affiliation & Awards
Heather is committed to the community. She serves as Co-Chair of the San Mateo County Bar Association’s Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section and has served the executive committee in roles including Chair Pro Tem 2018-2019, Treasurer 2016-2017, and Chair of New Attorneys 2013-2017.
Heather’s community roles include:
- Co-Chair, San Mateo County Bar Association Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section (2020-2021)
- Treasurer and member of the Board of Directors, Junior League of San Jose (2020-2021)
- District Leader for California’s 14th Congressional District, The Humane Society of the U.S.
- Adoptions Counselor, San Francisco SPCA
- Member, Care and Support Team, Menlo Church
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney selected to Northern California Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2017 – 2020
Best Lawyers in America© 2021: Ones to Watch, Trust and Estates.
Speaking & Publications
Estate Planning for Your Pet, Hoge Fenton Legal Article, February 1, 2022
Bay Area “Quirks”, The Bar Association of San Francisco Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Section and Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Litigation Subsection, Panelist, April 2021
Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way: Exploration of Will Drafting, Execution and Litigation, Eastern Alameda County Bar Association (EACBA), Co-presenter, January 2020