Edward (Ned) R. Hearn represents clients worldwide in intellectual property and business matters related to creative artists and media-based companies.
Ned’s practice focuses on entertainment, Internet, and computer software businesses and their convergence, intersecting content, media, and technology in the digital Internet environment, including: recording, production, and publishing; multi-media and Internet web-based productions; video games for mobile and console based platforms; mobile apps; digital distribution and re-purposing of content; licensing, distribution, and marketing; copyright and trademark matters; merchandising; sponsorships; film, television, video productions; options, scoring, and soundtracks; content syndications; literary publishing, including fiction and technical and professional nonfiction; clearances for use of intellectual property in all forms of media; talent services negotiating and contracting; strategic alliances; content catalog sales and purchases; business start-ups and development; private financing; and private mergers and acquisitions of content and media-based companies.
His clients include record labels, music publishers, book publishers, software and video game publishers, traditional and Internet-based media, production, technology, and content distribution companies; webcasting companies; recording artists, writers, producers, managers, authors, software, video game, and app designers and developers, and multimedia product and website designers and developers.
- J.D., Rutgers University, cum laude
- Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, Rutgers University
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court of New Jersey
- United States District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Affiliation & Awards
Professional Memberships & Associations
- State Bar of California, Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Bar Association, Entertainment and Sports Forum
- California Lawyers for the Arts, Member, Board of Directors, 1976-present (President, 1978-1981)
- West Coast Songwriters Association, President, 1979-2007, President Emeritus and Advisory Board, 2007-present
- NARAS-The Recording Academy, San Francisco Chapter, Board of Governors and Education Committee Co-Chair, 2009-present
Speaking & Publications
Ned has co-authored Musician’s Guide to Copyright (Scribners) and The Musician’s Business and Legal Guide (Prentice Hall); has published numerous articles on his practice area; and has presented at dozens of conferences, including the American Bar Association (ABA), Practising Law Institute (PLI), American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP) Expo, California Lawyers for the Arts, NARAS/Recording Academy, and various media and trade association conferences.