As a 13-year corporate attorney, Darlene D. Chiang joins the firm’s Corporate and Business Law Group from Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. With experience in start-up environments and multinational corporations, she is fluent with the critical business challenges clients face every day.
Darlene can provide her clients with practical legal solutions to resolve issues as they progress through their critical lifecycle milestones from formation, subsequent financing, entering strategic technology transfer and commercial transactions with their key business partners, to successful exit.
She focuses on providing counsel to domestic and international high-growth tech companies, VC firms, and corporate venture teams in a variety of areas, including corporate and securities law, formation, VC financing, mergers and acquisitions, divestiture, and pre-IPO counseling. Darlene advises foreign companies on the successful expansion of their business operations to the U.S. In her work with clients, she drafts and negotiates tech and commercial contracts including master services, joint development, SaaS, and OEM. Darlene also advises clients on regulatory and compliance matters such as EdTech, FinTech, AgTech, autonomous driving, and blockchain. She often acts as outside general counsel on behalf of her clients.
At Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, Darlene was a Managing Associate in the Technology Companies Group. She represented both startups and investors in venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, and a variety of cross-border transactions between Asia, Europe and United States, primarily in the technology sector.
Prior to joining Orrick, Darlene was an Associate General Counsel at SK Hynix America and Echelon Corporation. She provided general counsel services to the US subsidiaries of Chinese corporations and advised such companies in corporate governance, joint venture and investment matters.
Before returning to the private practice, Darlene had worked in-house at a biometric payment start-up, a publicly traded IoT company, and a top tier semiconductor company headquartered in Korea. Darlene also worked at Oracle as an IT professional before launching her legal career.
- Corporate & Business Law
- Food & Beverage
- Intellectual Property
- International Law
- Life Sciences & Medical Devices
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Tech Transactions
- Chinese (Mandarin, Shanghainese)
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- B.A., Political Economy of Industrial Societies, University and Department Honors, University of California, Berkeley
Speaking & Publications
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Don’t Leave Money on the Table! IP Strategies to Grow Profits and Maximize Value, Hoge Fenton, October 23, 2019
- Keeping the Profits Flowing –A Retrospect of Legal Issues to Avoid that Hamper Growth, Dublin Chamber of Commerce, September 5, 2019
- “Getting to Know the US Law 101- Overview of Cross Border Startup Fundraising and the M&A Cycle”, Xhub Space, May 29, 2019