Eugene (Geno) Ashley is a member of our Business Litigation, Real Estate and Construction groups. Geno has built his career counseling and advocating on behalf of his business clients in significant matters. A veteran trial lawyer, Geno’s experience ranges from “bet the company” lawsuits with multi-million-dollar outcomes, to prosecuting and defending actions arising out of contracts and business torts, unfair business practices and trade secrets claims, and construction and real estate disputes.
Geno represents public and privately held corporations, businesses and individuals with intellectual property litigation and counseling, as well as general business and real estate litigation such as mechanic’s liens. He has extensive experience in all facets of litigation, including trial. Geno has chaired numerous bench and jury trials, in addition to helping to guide clients through arbitration and settlements:
- In 2009, Geno tried a jury trial representing a plaintiff in a breach of contract lawsuit against the local division of a Chinese manufacturer of industrial materials. Geno’s client was awarded everything they asked for by the jury, including a multi-million-dollar verdict.
- Geno helped win a multi-million-dollar bench trial verdict for a homeowner in San Francisco County.
- Geno won three trials representing a business owner going through a contentious divorce. The trials focused on control, operation, and management of the owner’s businesses.
- Successfully arbitrated a million-dollar mechanic’s lien and breach of contract action for a Bay Area client, large multi-unit residential development.
Prior to joining Hoge Fenton, Geno was a shareholder at Hopkins & Carley where he served as the firm’s General Counsel and member of their Litigation group.
Geno is a member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association, and gave Continuing Legal Education courses on Mechanic’s Lien law.
He is active in the community, having served on numerous boards over the past 20 years including Junior Achievement, the Board of Trustees of Moreau Catholic High School (and Board Chair for two years), and numerous youth sports organizations. Geno coached little league baseball and lacrosse for many years.
- Banking & Mortgage
- Business Litigation
- Class Action
- Intellectual Property
- Life Sciences & Medical Devices
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate and Land Use
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, with distinction
- B.A., Political Science, University of California at Santa Barbara and Richmond College, The American International University in London
- United States District Court, Northern, Central, Southern, and Eastern Districts
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Speaking & Publications
- Co-Presenter, Building the Bay in the Age of COVID-19 webinar, May 1, 2020