Jim Cummins is an accomplished trial attorney based in our Silicon Valley Office. Jim has a proven record of obtaining successful results for his clients in pretrial resolution, mediation, negotiated settlements, and contested trials. Jim’s areas of expertise include Trust and Estate Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Real Estate Litigation, and other complex litigation matters.
Jim’s recent accomplishments include successful defenses and resolutions of six figure elder abuse claims, a successful appeal following an adverse trial judgment relating to real property, a successful prosecution of a contested will reformation, and a successful defense of a disinterment action.
His trust and estate litigation practice focuses on trust and will contests, elder abuse actions, and actions to redress trustee mismanagement.
Jim’s robust business litigation practice focuses on domestic and international disputes, complex business disputes that arise in marital dissolution actions, partnership disputes, unfair business practice litigation, and breaches of corporate fiduciary duties.
Prior to joining Hoge Fenton, Jim worked with the law firms of Schuering Zimmerman & Doyle in Sacramento and Mitchell, Gingerich & Loquaci in San Jose.
- J.D., Santa Clara University, School of Law
- B.A., Philosophy, emphasizing Ethics, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District
Affiliation & Awards
Jim is a member of the State Bar of California, Sacramento County Bar Association.
Speaking & Publications
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Co-Author, Probate Court Closed to Disinherited Trust Beneficiaries, Daily Journal, September 27, 2018
- Speaker, Drafting Petitions and Responses, East Bay Trust and Estates Lawyers Litigation Boot Camp, September 12, 2018
- Speaker, Undue Influence in Will and Trust Contests Under Probate Code §86, Tri-Valley Estate Planning Council, Pleasanton, CA, March 1st, 2018
- Speaker, Undue Influence in Will and Trust Contests Under Probate Code §86, Marin County Estate Planning Council, San Rafael, CA, September 13th, 2017
- Speaker, Undue Influence Contest in Will and Trust Litigation PROBATE CODE §86 AND FAMILY CODE §721, EACBA Monthly MCLE Luncheon, Pleasanton, CA, March 16th, 2017