Crystal is a skilled trial attorney having tried numerous cases to verdict. With high-profile trials that have received worldwide attention, she has built her career assisting clients in all aspects of business, complex commercial, and intellectual property litigation. Crystal’s strategic thinking and strong business acumen provides clients with custom litigation solutions. She is a skilled and fierce advocate for her clients and a valued business partner.
As an appellate attorney, Crystal’s success on appeal, persuasive manner, and deep understanding of the law helps her navigate her clients through the complicated appellate process. She is also able to collaborate with trial counsel to obtain favorable results at all stages of litigation. In addition to her practice, Crystal is an adjunct professor at Santa Clara University, School of Law, where she teaches appellate advocacy.
Crystal also has significant experience with Title IX representing student-parties and educational institutions. Crystal’s advocacy in this area has received worldwide attention.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law
- B.A., Political Science, St. Mary’s College of California, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Affiliation & Awards
Crystal is an active member of the San Jose community. She is involved in the Ladies’ Guild Board at St. Christopher Church in San Jose and has been a member since 2006. She also supports the Happy Hollow Foundation of Happy Hollow Park and Zoo in San Jose. She has been involved with the Future Vision program at Lincoln High School in San Jose and the Mountain View High School Mock Trial Team.
Crystal is a 2017 honoree of the Silicon Valley Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 award. Crystal is a graduate of The Silicon Valley Organization’s Community Leadership San Jose, Class of 2013.
Crystal was named Northern California Rising Star from 2015-2019. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
Crystal is a member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association, previously serving on its Women Lawyers Section, Finance Committee, and Barristers Section. She is also a member of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and of the California Minority Counsel Program.
Trial work includes both bench and jury trials:
- Represents a leading and high-profile software company in breach of contract, fraud, trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, and business torts litigation
- Counsel for technology start-up and internet printer against infringement claims brought by intellectual property owner
- Represents a software and information technology start-up company in a high stakes arbitration against a vendor regarding a technology contract dispute
- Counsel for major development and manufacturing client in shareholder, business dissolution, and post-transaction dispute with co-owner
- Served as trial counsel in an eight-week jury trial successfully reducing corporate defendants’ liability and damages on contract and fraud causes of action
- Served as trial counsel in a five-week jury trial, which resulted in a favorable defense verdict of no liability in a professional negligence action
- Served as trial counsel in a ten-week jury trial, which resulted in more than $5.1 million in stipulated judgments and settlements for individual plaintiff
- Counsel for an international semiconductor foundry in a defense of a patent infringement action prior to obtaining indemnity for client
- Successful representation of a national insurance brokerage company and principal stakeholders in a breach of contract, trade secret, and economic interference action
- Represents international internet advertising corporation prosecuting and defending contract, fraud, negligence, and patent infringement claims
- Negotiated favorable settlements prior to trial for technology networking company in a suit involving alleged fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and misappropriation
- Successfully negotiated resolution of shareholder derivative suit related to claims of breaches of fiduciary duties, corporate mismanagement, and conversion of privately-held corporation
- Represents individual client in interlocutory appeal to preserve critical trial court ruling affecting potential damages
- Successfully represented individual client in post-trial motions and strategy in preparation for appeal and cross-appeal
- Represents business owner clients in appeal of early dismissal of plaintiff’s case based on dispositive anti-SLAPP motion
- Favorable settlement of breach of contract case for hardware technology defendant following opening brief on appeal
- Obtained early dismissal of appeal based on nuanced procedural issue confirming significant judgment and award of attorneys’ fees for client
- Secured early dismissal of appeal prior to briefing resulting in complete dismissal of the case
- Defended voluminous and technical appeal of jury verdict regarding evidentiary issues at trial confirming a significant award for clients
- After successful oral argument, obtained appellate opinion affirming early dismissal of a complaint for breach of contract and a substantial award for attorneys’ fees for municipal defendants
Speaking & Publications
Articles & Speaking Engagements
- Moderator, Leaders Create More Leaders – Leading and Developing Diverse Leaders In-house and in Law-Firms, California Minority Counsel Program, April 18, 2019
- Speaker, Envision the Future, The Hertz Foundation Summer Workshop, July 19, 2018
- Co-author, Associates: Tips For Your Very First Trial, Daily Journal, February 21, 2018
- Featured, Campus Confidential: How Colleges Continue to Keep Rape Cases in the Shadows, Marie Clare, February 2017
- Speaker, From Having it All to Leaning in Seminar, Santa Clara County Bar Association, Women Lawyers’ Section, June 15, 2017
- Speaker, Women Engaged! Campus Sexual Assault, The Silicon Valley Organization, May 30, 2017
- Co-Facilitator, The Way Forward: Title IX Advocacy, Conference at Stanford Law School, May 1-2, 2017
- Panelist, What Works for Women at Work: Advice and Inspiration for Entering the Legal Field, Santa Clara University, School of Law, March 29, 2017
- Co-author, When a judge’s past comes back to haunt, San Francisco Daily Journal, February 20, 2015
- Speaker, Nuts & Bolts of Business Litigation: Weapons of Discovery, presented by the Santa Clara County Bar Association, September 11, 2014
- Author, What a Business can Learn from Trial – A Litigator’s Perspective, August 6, 2014
- Author, Beware Patent Trolls: Supreme Court Lowers Standard to Obtain Attorney’s Fees in Meritless Patent Infringement Lawsuits, June 23, 2014
- Speaker, Ethics and Technology, presented by Bay Area Legal Forum, April 20, 2013
- Author, Putative spouse status: A purely subjective standard … for now, Daily Journal, September 13, 2011
- Author, Can you quickly put your hands on a critical business record, June 2011
- Speaker, Hot Topics in Internet Law Issues of 2010
- Author, Federal Trade Commission Scrutinizes Retailer’s Bloggers, May 2010
- Speaker, Central Coast Human Resources Association on Social Networking and the Legal Risks for Employers