Amy J. Embert is an experienced patent attorney focused on helping clients maximize and protect their company’s intellectual property. With over 14 years of patent prosecution experience, she counsels clients on the development, prosecution, and management of their domestic and international patent portfolios.
Amy works with companies at all stages of growth in multiple industries including medical device, IT, software, semiconductor, material science, computer hardware, consumer electronics, optics, photonics, apparel, fashion, and sporting goods. Amy also has experience with patent validity proceedings, including Inter Partes reviews, before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO, and appeals to the Federal Circuit.
Amy is intimately involved with the Silicon Valley Start-up community. She works with the Fogarty Institute for Innovation in Palo Alto and UC Hastings Startup Legal Garage program to provide individual inventors and new start-ups strategic patent portfolio development advice.
Prior to Hoge Fenton, Amy was a principal at Ascenda Law Group. As an associate she worked at SNR Denton and Finnegan in Palo Alto.
- J.D. Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
- B.A. Physics, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- California, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey
- Develop, prosecute, and manage domestic and international patent portfolios for clients in the medical device, medical information technology, optics, apparel, software, semiconductor inspection, semiconductor, integrated circuit, consumer products, and sporting equipment fields. These portfolios have been used to build companies, secure funding, and bring products to market.
- Work with start-up companies to secure angel and venture funding by demonstrating the value of the start-up’s patent portfolio and explain the position of the patent portfolio within the landscape of ideas regarding particular areas of technology.
- Perform patent landscape analysis to assess how to best position innovation within the landscape and clearly articulate differences.
- Evaluate patent validity and perform freedom to operate analyses.
- Serve on the advisory board for a client.
- Participate in patent validity proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board the Federal Circuit.
Speaking & Publications
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Co-Presenter, Building Upon a Legacy of Innovation, Intellectual Property Seminar, Fogarty Institute, June 27, 2019
- Co-Presenter, The Role of Patent Assets in Deal Making, a Legal and Valuation Perspective, ProVisors, April 22, 2019
- Co-Presenter, Inside Tips on IP: What Entrepreneurs Need to Know, Intellectual Property Seminar, Fogarty Institute, June 18, 2018