Michael Bonetto is a shareholder in the firm’s Family Law practice. Michael is a Certified Specialist in Family Law as certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He has exclusively practiced family law since his admission to the bar in 2007. He is experienced in all facets of family law, including spousal and/or child support issues, complex property division, business valuation, separate property tracing, child custody and visitation, and prosecuting and defending domestic violence restraining orders. Michael is also experienced in drafting complex premarital and post-marital agreements.
Michael’s clients appreciate the fact that he handles each of his family law matters with compassion and an analytical approach, while aggressively advocating to advance their cases through trial when necessary. His clients – and their needs – are diverse, ranging from professional athletes and business owners with vast, complex estates and significant assets to middle-class professionals looking for a cost-efficient and effective way to divide their community estate.
Michael was selected to the 2016 Northern California Super Lawyers list and 2015 “Northern California Rising Stars,” a listing of top lawyers under the age of 40 who have been in practice 10 years or less as chosen by his peers and through the independent research of Law & Politics and San Francisco Magazine
Prior to joining Hoge Fenton, Michael worked as an associate at Whiting, Fallon, Ross and Abel, a family law boutique in Walnut Creek, where he handled all aspects of the practice, including discovery, law & motion, settlement conferences, evidentiary hearings, and multi-day trials.
While attending Santa Clara University School of Law, Michael served as Technical Editor of the highly regarded High Tech Law Journal and was a member of the Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law
- B.A., Legal Studies, University of California, Berkeley
Affiliation & Awards
Michael is an active member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association, Contra Costa County Bar Association, California State Bar Association, and American Bar Association. He also is a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Mentoring Group (East Bay Chapter and South Bay Chapter).
Northern California Super Lawyer for 2016 and 2015 “Northern California Rising Stars”. As chosen by his peers and through the independent research of Law & Politics and San Francisco Magazine.
- As first chair counsel, successfully defeated and fraud based set-aside challenge to a child support order, resulting in an award of more than $180,000 in arrearages to client
- First-chair counsel on a two-day trial for post-judgment spousal support modification in which support was reduced and set for termination following a long term marriage
- First-chair counsel on a three-day domestic violence defense trial ending with successful outcome for client
- First-chair counsel on a two day trial resulting in client being awarded $9,000/mo in non-taxable spousal support and $72,000 in attorney’s fees
- Through effective case strategy and preparation, successfully brokered generous settlement agreements, including a settlement in which his higher earning client was awarded his entire 401k retirement account, one-half of his spouse’s separate property, and a support order with a 1 year termination of jurisdiction